ND Beijing Global Gateway – Beijing, China
Notre Dame’s Beijing Global Gateway is in Zhongguancun, the famous technology hub at the heart of Beijing’s university district. Top universities in China, including Peking University, Tsinghua University, Renmin University, and Chinese Academy of Sciences, are all within a 10-minute drive from the Beijing Global Gateway.
Through connectivity with regional satellites in Tokyo and Hong Kong, the Beijing Global Gateway provides support to Notre Dame faculty and staff who are exploring or expanding programs in Asia. The Global Gateway staff can facilitate, coordinate, and advise on a variety of academic and networking activities. The Global Gateway offers limited work and meeting space but can help with logistical matters to ensure that endeavors in China and other parts of Asia are as productive as possible.
The Beijing Global Gateway has taken both leading and supporting roles in developing and coordinating many academic, research, and community-based programs in Asia, providing enriching experiences both to Notre Dame students and to high school, undergraduate, and graduate students from across Asia.
Number of Intern(s): 1
Language Requirement: Mandarin (Native fluency required)
- Compile pre-arrival information and orientation materials for ND summer programs in Beijing;
- Assist in hosting “Business and Culture in China Today” students in Beijing. Responsibilities include assisting airport pickup and sendoff, orientation, serving as RA and first point of contact during evenings; accompanying the group on field trips and serving as teaching assistants when needed; taking photos for the record and write a report, etc.;
- Assist in hosting IBM-CRL internship program when needed;
- Provide support to the orientation for the Tsinghua Engineering program students;
- Assist in hosting ND’s service-learning programs in Guizhou and other rural areas in China.
- Assist in organizing ND Club of Beijing Annual Picnic;
Marketing and Student Recruitment:
- Update marketing collateral for Notre Dame’s fall undergraduate admissions recruitment trip (PPT, brochures, website)
- Provide support to ND parents by editing the handbook for incoming students and parents and designing ways to localize ND parents’ newsletter;
- Prepare presentations and slides for meetings;
- Other possible assignments that are given by supervisors.
Dates and Duration: June 10, 2017 – July 9, 2017 (4 weeks)
SIBC will provide a $1,000 stipend to the selected student. Beijing Global Gateway will provide housing during the summer internship for one student who is fluent in Chinese and familiar with China.